For Christmas/Yule this year I decided to make sure my gifts were ‘positive’ (for people and/or planet). I often try to buy ethical/ecological gifts where possible, but this year I really tried to make sure as many gifts as possible were of this nature.
There are so many different ecologically-conscious/ethical/green/sustainable gift ideas out there that it is impossible to make a list of different choices (especially given that all people are different and like different things). But here are some of the things I got:
* Natural shampoos, shower gels, soaps and body lotions that are not tested on animals (The Body Shop http://www.thebodyshop.com, Eco Store http://www.ecostore.co.nz and some smaller/local brands). For my in-laws and friends.
* Scented pencils made from recycled newspaper. For my in-law siblings.
* Local wine from a vineyard that exemplifies sustainable wine production (www.yealands.co.nz). For my papa.
* Items from small, local suppliers (e.g. a stone and spirituality shop). For my mama and friends.
* Vouchers to eat at a Conscious Consumers cafe (www.consciousconsumers.org.nz). For my in-laws.
* Pre-loved clothes and up-cycled clothes. For my daughter and friends daughter.
* Fairtrade products (chocolate and tea). For my in-laws and friends.
* Christmas cards from a charity (Save the Children). For friends and family.
* Oxfam Unwrapped gift. For my manager.